Hello dads (to be),
All you guys probably remember the moment that you heard you will become a dad. Some of you might have planned it thoroughly and for some of you it may have come as one big surprise.
I was caught between these two: we did plan to have a baby in the near future, but we were not actively trying to find a moment when my wife could get pregnant.
And then there was that BIG moment: my wife called me when I was working and told me, out of the blue, congratulations Daddy. I didn’t know what she was talking about and thought she was making a joke. I said: how do you mean, daddy? She laughed and cried at the same time and told me she did a pregnancy test and that it was positive. I didn’t know how to react because I was in the office off course. So I made up an excuse that I needed to go home because my wife was not feeling that well and drove home way too fast.
When I arrived home, my wife and I hugged and she started crying all over again; I thought: is it starting already…?! And then it struck me: I am becoming a dad!! It was a really nice feeling, but it also triggered a lot of worries:
- Is it going to be a boy or girl
- We need to go to the doctor to check what to do and get information
- We need to find a midwife who’s going to take care of the checks, ultrasounds, tips, etc.
- Is our house a good place to raise a kid (we lived in an apartment on the 3rd floor without elevator)
- Are we going to make it financially
- Lots of other thoughts/worries
We went to the doctor later that afternoon and received some information about being pregnant.
Please let me know if you enjoyed reading this blog, I will post more stories in the near future.
Next blog topic: the midwife and first ultrasound